Why not substitute Roses with Orchids? …….except the orchids will only be available next week on 21 February 2017! Yes, the next issue is the new National Definitive with the theme of Orchids.
Here are the stamp denominations:
- 60 sen: Rhynchostylis retusa (Foxtail Orchid) – this orchid also appeared on the First Malaysian State Definitive series (15 cents)
- 70 sen: Phalaenopsis violacea (Normah Orchid) – this orchid also appeared on the First Malaysian State Definitive series (20 cents) – Sarawak’s Official Orchid
- 80 sen: Vanda helvola
- 90 sen: Paphiopedilum lowii (Slipper Orchid or Low’s Paphiopedilum) – found by Sir Hugh Low in Mount Kinabalu and named after him
- RM 1.00: Arachnis flos-aeris (Scorpion or Spider Orchid) – this orchid also appeared on the First Malaysian State Definitive series (10 cents)
- RM 1.10: Papilionanthe hookeriana (Hooker’s Papilionanthe, Kinta Orchid or Kinta Weed) – parent of Singapore’s Vanda Miss Joaquim – this orchid also appeared on the First Malaysian State Definitive series (1 cent)
Imperforate Miniature Sheet: RM 7.00 with all the 6 stamps
As usual there will be an empty folder for sale.
I will update the images once it is officially released. Meanwhile, check online to see the unofficial images growing around.
Any orchid experts out there to give us some advice?
Updated 17 February 2017:
Here is the price list released during the media preview this morning:
It is indeed a beautiful set. The designer for this issue is Reign Associates (Mr KY Lim). The current format released is the philatelic sheetlets of 20 stamps per sheet.
The quantities released are:
- Stamps: 150,000 pieces each type
- Miniature Sheet: 30,000 pieces
- Empty folder: 2,000 pieces
There are additional security features introduced for the first time for our National Definitive stamps. The stamps will incorporate microtext and high security ink (iridescent ink and infra red ink).
Get your pots ready!