On 31 July 2019, Pos Malaysia issued stamps to commemorate the installation of His Majesty Seri Paduka Baginda XVI Al-Sultan Abdullah Ri’ayatuddin Al-Mustafa Billah Shah Ibni Almarhum Sultan Haji Ahmad Shah Al-Musta’in Billah as the sixteenth Yang di-Pertuan Agong on 30 July 2019. First Day Covers were issued for the occasion.
One area that has not seen much attention is the creation of Philatelic Numismatic Covers. Basically an official coin released by Bank Negara Malaysia is matched with (usually) a First Day Cover. Bank Negara Malaysia did issue a set of coins for the occasion. The commemorative coins were presented to His Majesty on 26 July 2019 by the Governor of Bank Negara Malaysia, Datuk Nor Shamsiah Mohd Yunus, at Istana Negara, Kuala Lumpur. Bank Negara Malaysia has released the announcement that the coins will be available for ONLINE sale on 19 August 2019. That is the coming MONDAY! So do put the date into your calendar.
To read the press release: http://www.bnm.gov.my/index.php?ch=en_press&pg=en_press&ac=4888&lang=en
So what do you need to do? Here is what you can expect if this is the first time you are trying to buy coins ONLINE:
- On 19 August 2019, check the Bank Negara Malaysia website for instructions.
- They do provide a link to an ordering portal where the MAXIMUM quantities per person is pre-determined.
- It is usually oversubscribed as the dealers, runners and resellers will use the whole village’s Identity Card, email and handphone numbers to place an order.
- In the past you do not need to pay for the order until after a balloting. The date of balloting and successful subscribers will be announced. So you really need to read on Monday!
- Then a date is provided for you to go to your preferred branch to pay and collect in person or via a nominee. You need to bring your Identity Card or your nominee need to bring the identity card.
- A second round of balloting is done if the first round subscribers do not pick up their allocations.
- There will be a lot of runners stand as you go into the hall and at the exit of the hall to try and buy from you anything that you do not want.
I believe it will be the same process this time. Except… there is a strange sentence that says… “The public can place and pay for their orders online from 19 August 2019.”. Does this mean that we need to pay upfront? If that is the case, it will be better as it will cut down on speculators putting in their money upfront.
What are the chances of getting your allocation? From the past, it is pretty high. The quantities are decent. You can compare the quantities with the historic quantities of past issues. You need to start to check out Bank Negara Malaysia website and do some reading.
Meanwhile….I am searching for my cutter to make a hole in the FDC!
Oh yes! The SODA FDC is a setenant strip!